The below information is a brief summary of customs regulations when you plan your international shipping to Austria. Always double check with your local embassy or consulate to make sure you have all the information you need before you make your move. Contact the nearest Austrian Embassy.

When you plan your international shipping to Austria, The following documents are required for customs clearance:

  • Passport (original)
  • Inventory in triplicate
  • Original Residence Permit (Meldezette)
  • Certificate of Residence Change
  • Entry Certificate from the Police Station of municipal office concerned
  • Exit Certificate stating stay abroad was for at least twelve months

When shipping goods overseas to Austria, The following items customs guidelines will need to be met:

  • Used household goods (owned and used for at least six months) and personal effects are generally duty-free provided the customer has been abroad for at least twelve months, and the goods will not be sold for at least twelve months after import
  • Goods must be imported within two years from the change of residence of the customer

When shipping goods overseas to Austria, The following items are prohibited or restricted from entry into the country:

  • Alcohol, tobacco products, perfume
  • Foodstuffs, beverages and other consumables
  • New items, appliances and gifts are subject to duties
  • Weapons and ammunition require a special license
  • Plants and certain plant products require a plant protection certificate
  • Objects of art, antiques, invoice for goods in duplicate (if applicable, expert appraisal)
  • Pornographic material

When shipping Motor Vehicles overseas to Austria, The following documents and regulations will apply:

  • Motor Vehicles are exempt from duties if owned and used abroad for at least six months, and cannot be sold or otherwise transferred for two years
  • All cars must meet Austrian specifications and may require extensive modifications
  • Proof of automobile insurance is required
  • Application for Austrian license plates must be made immediately; plates from original country must be available
  • Separate customs clearance at the main customs office in Vienna is necessary
    • Documents required:
      • Log Book
      • Purchase Invoice and contract
      • Passport (copy)
      • Registration with police or local authority in Austria (original)
      • Exit Certificate stating stay abroad was for at least 12 months

Moving Pets to Austria: The following documents must be presented for the importation of pets:

  • Dogs and cats are permitted with Health and Vaccination Certificate in German

If you are moving your household, commercial goods or motor vehicles to Wels, Linz, Graz, Kalgenfurt, Grossglockner, Bregenz, Vienna or to another other city, please give us a call to go over any questions you may have on import requirements.

The regulations are subject to change without notice. Our company is not liable for any costs, damage, delays, or other detrimental events resulting from non-compliance.